Sunday, January 13, 2013

Oops I did it again...

Yes, oops Red velvet has done it again. This time I have done it on purpose. On 1/10/2013 @ 11-11:47 am, I cut off my hair and restarted my natural hair journey.


It's all gone...No worries though it will grow back










The first time I decided to become natural was sometime in 2007 or 2008. I've had relaxers all my life and I was okay with my relaxed hair. I've had good and bad hairstylists in the past. But it would take just ONE hairstylist to finally change my mind to become natural. This hairstylist decided to flat iron my freshly relaxed hair while it was WET!!! So they could finish up before the shop closed (Just to make it to a party). That was the last straw I had enough...I was FED UP!!! I had enough of the hair and scalp abuse and didn't know what I was going to do with my hair. A few weeks later, I was bored and some scissors were nearby. I trimmed a little here and a little there and before I knew it. I had less than 2 inches of hair. At that time there was a lot of stigma about black women embracing their natural kinks and curls (This stigma still exists). So I ran out to the wig shop. I rocked those wigs and braids until I was personally comfortable with rocking my natural kinks and curls. After a journey filled with highs and low of being natural and embracing the kinks and curls God gave me. I had achieved success of growing my hair to SL (Shoulder-Length) with the help of lots of research. I was really close to growing my hair to APL (Arm Pit Length).

This is my Natural hair I am rocking a 2 day old twist out.


This my Natural hair in the process of getting a blow-out.. ( This was my hair length before my pregnancy)



 That's when I started to neglect my hair..too many colors, too much heat, too much of the wrong things. I was doing the one thing I was trying to avoid in the first place. I was abusing my hair and too busy dealing with tragic life events, work, school and raising my little princess to care. It wasn't until I saw that I inspired my little sister CoCo, to restart her natural journey. At that very moment, I decided to recommit myself to growing healthy kinks and curls. On 1/10/2013 @11-11:47 am, I cut my hair and began my natural hair journey again .


The end result of my cut. You can see some of the curls popping ( but my thick hair makes it hard for you to see the rest)

 I look forward to embarking on this journey of growing healthy kinks and curls with my little sister CoCo.  So join us on our journey of enjoying beauty products and growing our kinks and curls and helping others embrace their own kinks and curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment